Happy Spread Saturday all! This totally consists of a spread as it contains a homemade spread right?
Is it a cake? Is it a biscuit? Well this Cake Jar ends the debate with a very clear, cake based jar! Inspired by the great Jaffa, these jars are the perfect treat or gift to give to your friends!
Jaffa Cake Cake Jars
- Food Processor
- Cookie cutters
"Jaffa Cake Spread"
- 400 g dark chocolate
- 3 tsp orange extract be sure its made with oil and NOT alcohol otherwise the chocolate will seize.
- 6 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 pack Betty Crocker vanilla cake mix I know I was feeling lazy…
- 6 tbsp sunflower oil
- 180 ml water
Jaffa cake jam disc
- 1 sachet vege-gel
- 100 g caster sugar
- 200 ml water
- 3 tbsp orange extract
Misc Items to make the jar
- 1 pack Jaffa Cakes
- 1 jar marmalade
Jaffa Cake Spread
- Melt down 400g of dark chocolate in the microwave in 30 second bursts (if you don't have a microwave, melt on the hob with a dish over some boiling water slowly). Stir between until runny.
- Add in your oil, and extract and mix until combined.
- Put in a container and leave to set for approx 3 hours until it is a spread like consistency
Jaffa Cake Jam disc
- Add the orange extract and food colouring to 200ml of COLD water.
- Mix in the vege-gel until it has all dissolved
- Add the sugar and mix until dissolved.
- Put on the hob on a medium heat until it reaches the boil
- Let the mixture boil for approx 10 seconds. then pour into your heatproof dish (I used a round perspex lid)
- Leave to set, it should set in around an hour ish.
- Yes, this is the main part of a cake jar, and yes I am lazy. If you want you can make your own sponge mix, OR be lazy like me and buy yourself a nice pre mix and bake to perfection! Follow the instructions on the packet.
JAFFA CAKES, ASSEMBLE
- Yes a terrible avengers joke.. Okay so get your jar, and start by adding a layer of Marmalade and spread.
- Chop up some Jaffa Cakes and sprinkle into the jar.
- Get a cookie cutter the size of your jar, and cut the cake into discs. adding a layer
- Layer up the cake jar, you can get creative, mixing all the zesty ingredients until you reach the top. I recommend doing layers: spreads, cake, spreads, cake. See the image to see how I layered mine (a picture speaks a thousand words!)
- Add a final layer of chocolate orange spread on top of the cake layer.
- Using the cookie cutter, cut out a circle of the Jaffa Cake Jam, and carefully place it on top of the spread
- LIFT OFF! You are ready to serve, or store to give as gifts.