Okay, we have Jaffa Cakes, we have Jonuts, but why don’t we have ‘Jeggs’ (Jaffa Cake Creme Egg). Imagine this, a dark chocolate egg filled with that good old tasty Jaffa Jam filling!
If McVities were to make these, I would probably go buy the whole stock! On the topic of Snackfish products, there are so many gaps in the Jaffa Line, one of which I decided to fill myself.
True Snack Attack fans will of course remember some of my other Jaffa Creations, including the Jaffa Spread and Jaffa Cake Jars!
Want to try your go at making the Cake Jar? Fear not! I have the recipe to hand! Feel free to tag me on Instagram (instagram.com/uksnackattack) if you do end up making it!
Just a reminder, these are all concepts and homemade, they are not for sale!
Jaffa Cake Cake Jars
- Food Processor
- Cookie cutters
"Jaffa Cake Spread"
- 400 g dark chocolate
- 3 tsp orange extract be sure its made with oil and NOT alcohol otherwise the chocolate will seize.
- 6 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 pack Betty Crocker vanilla cake mix I know I was feeling lazy…
- 6 tbsp sunflower oil
- 180 ml water
Jaffa cake jam disc
- 1 sachet vege-gel
- 100 g caster sugar
- 200 ml water
- 3 tbsp orange extract
Misc Items to make the jar
- 1 pack Jaffa Cakes
- 1 jar marmalade
Jaffa Cake Spread
- Melt down 400g of dark chocolate in the microwave in 30 second bursts (if you don't have a microwave, melt on the hob with a dish over some boiling water slowly). Stir between until runny.
- Add in your oil, and extract and mix until combined.
- Put in a container and leave to set for approx 3 hours until it is a spread like consistency
Jaffa Cake Jam disc
- Add the orange extract and food colouring to 200ml of COLD water.
- Mix in the vege-gel until it has all dissolved
- Add the sugar and mix until dissolved.
- Put on the hob on a medium heat until it reaches the boil
- Let the mixture boil for approx 10 seconds. then pour into your heatproof dish (I used a round perspex lid)
- Leave to set, it should set in around an hour ish.
- Yes, this is the main part of a cake jar, and yes I am lazy. If you want you can make your own sponge mix, OR be lazy like me and buy yourself a nice pre mix and bake to perfection! Follow the instructions on the packet.
JAFFA CAKES, ASSEMBLE
- Yes a terrible avengers joke.. Okay so get your jar, and start by adding a layer of Marmalade and spread.
- Chop up some Jaffa Cakes and sprinkle into the jar.
- Get a cookie cutter the size of your jar, and cut the cake into discs. adding a layer
- Layer up the cake jar, you can get creative, mixing all the zesty ingredients until you reach the top. I recommend doing layers: spreads, cake, spreads, cake. See the image to see how I layered mine (a picture speaks a thousand words!)
- Add a final layer of chocolate orange spread on top of the cake layer.
- Using the cookie cutter, cut out a circle of the Jaffa Cake Jam, and carefully place it on top of the spread
- LIFT OFF! You are ready to serve, or store to give as gifts.